Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Firefox less stable than IE?

Has firefox become less stable than IE? I have been using firefox for more than 6 months and it has totally improved my web browsing experience, but lately it has been crashing 2 to 3 times a week. I am running v1.06 with the following extensions (adblock, ieView, pdfDownload, sessionSaver, and flashBlock).

Checking the mozilla developers page, I found a bug for "adblock + flashblock". This would probably explain most of the strange behavior. This also highlights one of the difficulties with firefox, the ability to add extensions also adds bugs and security problems (Greasemonkey). However, I couldn't do without adblock and flashblock which block most of the annoying ads. So for now, my best solution is to use SessionSaver which saves all of the open tabs and I don't lose the pages when the browser crashes.

Filed under: ,

PS: Firefox locked up when I was writing this post, while visting the link about Greasemonkey (although I haven't able to reproduce this crash). Unfortunately 1.06 is looking less stable than 1.05.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog mc1. I was searching for information on astronomy telescopes and came across your post Firefox less stable than IE? - not quite what I was looking for related to astronomy telescopes but very interesting all the same!

Well, it's a new year - in fact it's almost the Chinese New Year. I'm still putting together astronomy lesson plans for the first and second semesters. This year the budget allows us to purchase a new telescope for the science group. That's great so we're still juggling the numbers how to get best bang for the buck! Not the 'big bang' you understand LOL. I'm coming down on the side of the Meade LX200GPS 12" Schmidt-Cassegrain. Let's wait and see.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: Astronomy for Kids .

A happy new year to everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home